PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB (H) UK November 2020
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2020, 11:13
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nomorehelosforme
aa777888,

Of course we are literal, educated with Queens English is always a good start in life!
In the immortal words of Korben Dallas: I only know two languages, English, and Bad English!

As for that quick tour work, you must have the patience of a Saint and the eyes of a hawk... how many checks do you carry out on a busy day?
Probably 40 or 50 per day, per pilot at a busy event. Half that at a weak event. We generally bring two pilots, or if there are two helicopters three pilots, sometimes four. That way everyone can stay safely rested, fed and watered. First check is "who are they bringing me?" The loaders are good (many are student pilots), and the pilots not flying help, but sometimes the fat guy tries to sit in front, or too many fat people at once or, to the previous point, did you seriously think that guy was not too impaired? Doors, belts, "Hey person in the front seat, are you a pilot? No? Then don't touch this or that, please, thanks, ha ha!" Scan while you wind it up. Go. Return. Wind it down. Help sort headsets, get a swig of water while the loaders do their thing. Last check is "How am I feeling, how was my last touchdown, is it time to ask for relief?" Repeat. Fly your patterns (more than one so as to break up your noise footprint). Stay in sync with the second helicopter if there is one, meaning you're flying when the other is loading. On one hand you are a machine and trying to attain a perfection of safe, efficient and repeatable movement, perhaps a bit like slinging trees or ag work. All honor to the loaders, they are an absolutely critical part of the ballet, both efficiency and safety-wise, as important as any pilot. On the other hand every load is different, and the cargo does wear on you sometimes. Screaming children. Old folks. Young men ("Sorry dudes, this isn't the Red Bull helicopter). Young ladies (more screaming). Date night. For most loads you throw in a couple of steep turns at the end and it's all they remember from the flight, and they go and tell everyone how awesome it was