PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tricks of the trade for flying tailwheel?
Old 16th Nov 2020, 10:58
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by machtuk
Someone mentioned about starting your take of roll with the stick a lot fwd, do NOT do this! Full back upon application of power then once rolling ease fwd to raise the tail to approx level flight. Applying lots of power whilst holding fwd stick is asking for trouble!
I'm the someone, and I can only plead that it was all quite some time ago. Absolutely right, if you open up to take-off power with the stick well forward you risk putting the prop into the ground. I can't imagine why I wrote that.....Thank the Lord that another someone put it right.

I do remember a trick with the Austers, when pointing more or less directly into a decent breeze for take-off. We would keep the brakes on, open up full power (yes, stick held back) then carefully raise the tail before releasing the brake. This would shorten the take-off run. But it was more an exhibition than useful, as in the same conditions you would get the tail up in a very short distance anyway.

I can't resist showing this pic of the Auster I did my first solo in, heading for what looks like a nice 3-pointer (so long as the elevator is well up at the moment of touchdown) but not with me in it. I wonder if it is still flying?

Last edited by old,not bold; 16th Nov 2020 at 11:11.