PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NO Instrument App/NO TAF - Alternate ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2020, 04:18
Captain Nomad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lead Balloon, I have read to the end of the section - many times! And yes, I have read and understood #55 commenting on the alternate weather section.

For a flight to a destination for which a prescribed instrument approach procedure does not exist, the minimum requirement is a GAF.
Refers specifically to what can be used for a no IAP destination aerodrome and tells me nothing about the subsequent obligation or otherwise of planning for an alternate... However, the statement at the beginning of 1.10 is quite clear in describing exactly what forecast information one MUST have for their IFR flight:

1.2.1 says: "Forecast information must include: a. an AERODROME forecast for the: (i) DESTINATION; AND (ii) when required, ALTERNATE aerodrome and..."
Exfocx, I agree, your operations can indeed be done above board no problem:
My employer ops aircraft >5700 into non IAP no TAF airports, and has been doing so using GAFs (as do many others) and CASA is well aware of the operations and it isn't done off the back of a dispensation.
BUT, how many times do you actually do this without carrying alternate/return fuel...?