PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Warhorses
Thread: Old Warhorses
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2020, 20:51
tonytales

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Akrotri bad boy
Thanks for your accewptance. Woodward formerly Woodward Govenors, maee the Hamilton Standard govenors back in the piston days. They are now based here in Ft. Collins, Colorado. Woodward Govenor had a Corporate A-26. I have seen the picture of it but have no idea of who modded the aircraft into an executive transport. No details either on it. I assume the engines were uprated from the "B" series to either CA or CB models. It was fitted with new props looking like DC-6 style blades.
I would imagine with the loss of bulky turrets and their drsg, it must have been a speedster. Can't get any details on it.
As another asude, back in '53 or '54 when I was at school at LGA airport, corporate planes were common over by the old Marine Air Terminal and the hangers near it. I saw on several occasions another corporate modified B-26 but it was the Martin kind. It too had the uprated engines and props. It looked fantastic with its cigar shaped fuselage unencumbered with draggy turrets or waist guns. It was operated by Tennessee Gas and Electric I seem to recall. The Martin B-26 doesn't qualify as an Old Warbird as they were quickly retired after their war.
Two other old timers frequented the Pan American corpate hangars there. They were the Douglas B-18 Boloand B-23 Dragon. B-23 Dragon lasted a long time, at least one was in use well into the 70's. I don't believe they count though as they were no longer used as warbirds.