PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Cadet Pilot extinct down under?
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2020, 13:00
Dashtrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I can broaden the horizons for a moment. Airlines around the world that have fired significant numbers(EK) or all(KA) their pilots could be placing themselves at a disadvantage. QF has stood down so in theory, would be quicker to start up operations. Should there be a workable vaccince, borders re-open etc (fingers crossed/wishful thinking) could some airlines find themselves suddenly under-crewed? Airlines that rely on expats could struggle to employ or re-employ pilots that have been forced to move back to their home country. Many of those in a year or so, may look at the numbers and decide that they can retire, others have secured jobs elsewhere and others may step away from aviation altogether.
Could there be a rush on experienced crews in the next 12-24 months? The need to employ en-mass in all seats leading to a new outlook on seniority? Have some airlines painted themselves into a corner by their efforts to stay in business?
What do you think? Could it happen? Sensible discussion?

How this impacts the lowest levels is anyones guess. I certainly wouldn't advocate committing to a massive financial burdon at this point. Beware of taking advice from turkeys at Christmas time. Get another qualification, get some cash behind you and even if my possible scenarios came true, the industry would still take a few years to normalise for the cadet level entry.
Apologies if I'm waffling but it's late here.