PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extinction Rebellion desecrate cenotaph.
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2020, 11:34
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by highflyer40
Tried to upload an image but it wouldn’t work(you can google it). It was a wreath laid at the cenotaph by the scouts saying “Scouts, join now”. I would say that is exactly the same as what we are talking about here. The only difference is it may be something you believe in. Like I said, subjective.

It’s quite funny because a lot of the older generation make fun of who they call “snowflakes” that get offended about everything. Which is true, but it’s a bit like the pot calling the kettle black as you are just as likely to find offence to anything that offends your traditions or “the way it used to be”.
I've just turned 60 and don't know if that quite qualifies me as an old timer, I hope it does. I've no wish at alI to be counted among arrogant self-superior and largely ill-informed younger generations. I find the constant attempts by, broadly younger people, though there are plenty of old timers among them, to question traditions and customs and dabbling in revisionist history (that's how we've ended up with some stupid berk spray painting 'is a Nazi' on Winston Churchill's Plinth), increasingly irritating. For a start highflyer 40, your comment about the Scouts, I suspect your trying to compare their right to lay a wreath at the cenotaph with that Bell fellah, who as has been noted, attempted to place his political message in prominence to all else. The Scouts are a recognised sympathetic institution not a controversial political extremist movement, yet today their founder Baden-Powell, along with Churchill and others, is analysed by people, judged by unrealistic modern standards, perhaps by many from more recent generations, certainly with no apparent grasp of perspective. To judge these men by what passes for moral acceptance and standards of civilized behaviour today is the same as subjecting Admiral Nelson, a man who's life straddled the 18th and 19th Centuries, to the same scrutiny accorded by a very narrow understanding of the past.. but then again, they've done just that! who's next, the Duke of Wellington, Oliver Cromwell or King Charles II? These historic figures would all be in jail or a secure psychiatric ward today if the practiced now what they did then, they're products of the times they were born into and brought up in. It's the moral relevance, fortitude of these past characters and what they achieved which took us further to what we've become, I hope there is no irony there. Older people get annoyed at the ignorance of those who have attracted (not from me) the tag of 'Snowflake'. I prefer Bonehead.

FB

Last edited by Finningley Boy; 14th Nov 2020 at 16:29.