PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB (H) UK November 2020
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2020, 11:29
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct RINKER. Same for the R44 and R66 as well.

I suspect few actual helicopter pilots are the least bit concerned about falling out of the helicopter or anything like that. Unless you live in cold climes, certainly we've nearly all spent a great deal of time flying around with the doors completely off. Well before I took up with helicopters, when I was taking my fixed wing training my instructor would try to rattle me by opening his door on on take-off. Sadly his gambit failed because I was already a very experienced skydiver and did not really care much for doors on airplanes, either

The challenge can be more physical than intellectual for a low time pilot. I can reach every door in an R44 myself except for the left rear. But with a newly minted private certificate, to do that and keep flying straight and level might be quite difficult. It was for me!

To pile on with the aforementioned pax briefings, I also make all pax demonstrate their ability to open and reclose a door. This works great, as you know. But I also fly a lot of fair ride type concessions. When you fly 150 people in one day, sometimes even your very experienced and conscientious loaders make a mistake. Or perhaps your not so bright insta-passenger wonders what the shiny silver handle is for. I've never had a problem talking even the drunkest idiot through reclosing the door, but YMMV.

But I digress. This gent was a very low time pilot. His initial decision to solve the problem was a reasonable one. Very sad he got downwind, very, very sad he didn't handle that well either.