PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 14th Nov 2020, 02:36
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Transition Layer
I hope I’m wrong, but so many Aussies are petrified of this virus that almost exclusively kills elderly people and/or those with co-morbidities. I don’t see International travel rapidly bouncing back.
Sorry, do the elderly and people with co-morbidities (things like high BP that would affect a large amount of the public) have less right to life than others? Or do we lock them all inside until everyone else is vaccinated?

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated but this is a serious pandemic. Look at nations that haven't taken it seriously. A big portion of Australian international airline flying is to the USA, where their approach has lead to tens of thousands of airline employees being laid off and regional airlines going out of business. The situation is so dire Covid positive nurses are forced to work and refrigerated morgue trucks are being used to store bodies. Europe, which is taking the pandemic more seriously, is still seeing near capacity ICUs and record case numbers. And all of this before Northern Hemisphere winter. The upcoming season is being nicknamed "Dark Winter" for a reason.

Asian nations have done better. But I would say their populations are better behaved, and more compliant with health advice than westerners. It is probably for the best to keep large numbers of potential virus carriers out until successful vaccines are available and travelers widely vaccinated unless we want a repeat of what's happening in the Northern Hemisphere at the moment.