PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-16 Crash at Shaw AFB
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2020, 22:27
Easy Street

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sycamore
Would it have been possible to retract the other wheels,and then land on the wing tanks/belly...?
If Plan `C` would have been instigated(Ejection),where would it have been done?,..are there any available night rescue helos available on base,nearby....no mention ,and time was running out...? Weather in `ejection area...?
Any possibility that the MP `dipped` under the ILS due to his `lead` having just done a `go-around`, and possible wake-turbulence near the threshold...?
I’d suggest that trying to retract the gear with components out of place (such as the drag brace and rotated main wheel) would be a very bad idea as it would risk damage to the mass of pipes and cables that tend to run through undercarriage bays. But more to the point, the answer is in the report: if it isn’t in the checklist and time is available, don’t freestyle, call the helpline. Also in the report it says that all flight parameters were stable during the final approach and that the change of flight path was ‘normal’ except for the incorrect selection of aiming point. While I disagree with the attribution of causes, I think the fact-finding sections of the report (probably not written by the 2*!) are admirably clear on what happened.