PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Herts & Essex Aero Club
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2020, 18:20
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Where's Broxbourne gone !

When Pobjoy went 'Power' (from gliding) in 1972 it was by way of a 25 HP Turbulent (based at Redhill). This was pre mobile phones and the interweb so information on old airfields was rather scarce, and certainly out of date. However it soon became obvious that many 'old airfields ' were indeed still potentially usable for a non radio ultralight, and so it was great fun finding these places from air or ground to see if using them was possible. In the case of Broxbourne in the 70's it was most decidedly not usable unless you had a boat !!, as the gravel boys had changed it beyond recognition.
Fast fwd to 1994 and i am reading (ATA Pilot) Diana Barnato Walker's excellent book 'Spreading My Wings' when on page 71 Broxbourne appears in the text. So as not to spoil the complete tale here is the 'taster'. 8 th Dec1942 DBW has to drop off a Miles Master in Wales and then pick up a Spitfire Vc for delivery to Hornchurch. True to form it is getting late, and upon arriving north of London it is getting 'murky' with failing light and forming fog. Hornchurch is 'out' and N Weald fogged in. DBW scans her map and see's a red dot with BB marked on it. Not knowing this is only a small grass airfield surrounded by fields she is running out of options when she spots a small 'red doped' machine on a concrete base. Two approaches later she 'squeeze's into the field and brakes to a halt before hitting the hedge. After taxying towards the red doped machine (Proctor) a mechanic greets her with the classic 'we have never had a Spitfire in here before' !!. Being close to the London tube Diana is soon off to London for a night club and party plus gets the brief on 'how to get a Spit out of a small field'. Next morning with the 'tail in the hedge', stick back, and 4 airman on the tail area she gives EE743 as much power as she dares,nods her head and releases the brakes as the airman tumble off. The Spit shoots forward, clears the telephone wires and Diana delivers it to nearby Hornchurch. Great book, fantastic pilot, and as Diana says 'Thank you BB for being there when I needed you'. ISBN I 85260 473 5 treat yourself to a great read.