PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Left-handed pilots
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2020, 17:43
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm "ambidextrous" when it comes to flying, as mentioned by another above. I've always flown gliders with my right hand on the stick and left for the spoilers. Ditto for the J-3 with left on the throttle. Left seat in the Cessna/Piper world is left hand on the yoke and right on the throttle.

A French pilot once put me in the right seat of the Robin ATL so I could fly with my right hand on the stick and use the center throttle. The Robin R2160 I did aeros training in in German a few years ago had two throttles and sticks. I found it slightly awkward to see a throttle to my right while knowing I was supposed to use the one to the left.

The Motor Falke TMG was an odd beast. Left hand on the stick and right hand on the throttle. Until... transitioning to right hand on the stick and left on spoilers. Yikes!

I'm now training for SE commercial and instructor in a 172. I find left hand on the throttle and right on the yoke still rather awkward, but have become accustomed to in the Seminole. Now, I'm just confused thinking about it. Sorry for thread drift.