PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I Need a GPS?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2003, 05:59
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have used a moving map GPS pretty much since I started flying. We commonly hear the CAA and others telling us they cannot be relied upon and there are plenty of reasons why this might be so. However my GPS has never failed. To put that in perspective that is in some five or so years, getting on for 1,000 hours, during which one VOR has packed up, one DI has become unreliable, box 1 has failed a few times, and the transponder has produced spurious and unexplained readings. The avionics I refer to are all IFR “approved” panel mounted items, the GPS is not panel mounted, not “approved” but is connected to “mains” power and a good external aerial. For me that says a lot about reliability. I know for sure when flying an NDB in earnest I would far rather fly the “GPS procedure” and monitor the needle than vica versa.

OK so with a few hours under your belt and some instrument experience when the GPS fails it is back to the needles and the mark one eyeball which does very nicely. Thank goodness we have those skills. Flying VMC I think you would be stupid not backing up the GPS with the map on the knee, and in IMC not cross checking the needles against the GPS (or of course the other way around).

Now GrassStrip tells us he is relatively inexperienced and has problems identifying VRPs, towns and airfields. In my view that is hardly surprising – we all did. His skills to will improve by dint of effort, or by doing an instrument rating but it will take time. In that time he may get lost or he may stray into controlled airspace, neither a pleasant experience. If he does, he may decide to give up flying – what a shame.

However if he uses a GPS while it is working it will re-enforce his navigation skills as long as he supports the GPS by verifying the ground against the map, and he will become a better navigator far more quickly, so that when it fails it becomes a minor inconvenience.

So what are the pitfalls?

Don’t become over reliant on the GPS. Get into the habit very early on of verifying “features” shown on the GPS with those actually on the ground. If they don’t correlate do something about it!

Be very, very careful entering a course on the GPS – check and recheck the course to steer between waypoints with what you would expect on the map.

Know your GPS thoroughly – learning how to change views or routes etc., is not something to learn in the cockpit – it should be second nature. Anyway time on the ground is free!

Have an escape plan in mind on each leg! For example you may find yourself using the GPS to accurately fly close to an area of controlled air space which you know you mustn’t infringe to get to your destination. OK the GPS packs up. Abort the track you were following unless you are certain of you navigational skills, know the direction in which to turn to take you safely away from controlled airspace and know a track you can follow to get you to an alternate destination if that is what is called for. OK you get lost along the new route, so call the D and D cell, you are truly temporarily uncertain of your position, they will help you out.

Don’t bother with a simple GPS that only gives you a heading or track information. That presents less benefit and far more risk that following the needles, you have got nothing to cross check the GPS against other than your line on the map. Instead, ensure the GPS has a good moving map which provides a wonderful means of relating the GPS information to the map on your knee to the “map” on the ground. The difference between the two is only a few hundred pounds these days and the less experienced you are the better that money is spent!

Now there are those that would say the only way to learn to navigate is the map, the mark 1 and a pencil – some like the challenge, some like to make navigation hard work, and for some this works. However, it seems to me there is much to suggest that in learning any new skill re-enforcement is vital. Being able to re-enforce your map, mark 1 and pencil with the information shown on the GPS provides that re-enforcement – try turning off the GPS every so often – I think you will be surprised how well you do and how much more confident you have become.

Good luck!

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 6th Dec 2003 at 06:11.