PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Left-handed pilots
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2020, 16:20
Innominate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Civil aircraft seem to be more optimized for left handers: Power in the center and stick or yoke left. (That is whenever you sit in the left seat). Military fighters and gliders are more optimized for right handers: Power left and stick forward or right.
Read somewhere left handers are more used to and talented to use their "other" hand. Lefty myself.
I always assumed that captains (whether of airliners, Cessnas or Pipers) sat on the left so they could check they were flying to the right of a line feature such as a canal or railway line - as required by the rules of the air. It's simpler to have one throttle in the centre than one available to both pilots' left hands.

If I were flying a PA28 from the right seat I don't think I'd be able to reach the fuel tank selector on the other wall!

I'm another lefty - first solo in the left seat of a T21 (flying with my left hand), later in a Ka 13 (right hand) and now a PA28 with my left hand. Writing down squawks etc. is done left-handed, with right hand on the yoke.