PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2020, 12:31
Nuke Dukem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input, Redsnail. The training program I am doing includes 1500 hours so I will be entering the workforce at age 47 ready for the FAA ATP/CTP with about 6 months of reserve income in the bank to help smooth out the transition. Honestly, I think I would be completely fine just flying left seat at a regional or right seat at a major. My main motivation for flying is to have fun and travel, so the salary isn't so much an issue; especially since I will have additional income from my military pension. I can tell that corporate office life isn't for me (fluorescent lighting is bad for the soul). I want to learn a skill and then go out and do it!

My last two commanders retired and went straight to the airlines. I have spoken with both of them about hiring practices and the Class 1 physical. Neither of them thought I would have a problem finding work or getting medically qualified at that age. Heck, one of them gets disability from the Air Force and he breezed through his Class 1. If they are still in the industry by 2025 I will also have connections to the airlines through them.