PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An angel at my pad (Keck hospital rooftop crash)
Old 12th Nov 2020, 04:17
noooby

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
Having carried out a ‘Check A’ on the 109 every working day for the last decade and a half and having over 3,000 hours on type, I do have some idea of how the thing is put together.

One other “gotcha” on this type is that out of the two hydraulic systems, only #1 boosts the yaw servo. If #1 hydraulics drop off line, servo assistance is lost and the pedal feedback forces can be very high. It’s then very difficult to apply enough “boot” to keep the aircraft straight at low speed. The normal way to land in that condition is a running landing at about 30 kts, ideally with a crosswind from the left.
You have me by 2 years. I only have 8 years on the 109/119 series. As a licenced mechanic doing line and heavy maintenance. It's a pretty basic and very reliable TR system. The TR itself however is a maintenance hog with the Teflon bushings wearing out pretty quick depending on how many cycles/hour you do. Keep it shimmed and keep it tight and it will last. Unlike a Bell, the TR should NOT teeter easily on the trunnion. It should take a good push with the palm of your hand. A TR that teeters like a Bell is worn out and is probably going to cost you many $$$ to sort out.