PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Pilot YouTuber...
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2020, 00:11
Squawk7700

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by nigelsomers
I see. I think Stefan Drury is making a full time living from it. I am only looking at it as a way of paying off my VET.
No he is not making a living from it, because his views aren’t high enough. His views simply aren’t high enough to pay for anything more than some avgas and a couple of annuals... and therein lies the issue. YouTubers work hard to create the perception that they are someone important in the hope that more people will subscribe.... it’s what youtubers and instagrammers do. Then they approach companies for cash for comment and hope that the endorsements keep coming on in. If you look closely at his videos, he copies techniques from successful youtubers across the globe and pays attractive people to hang around him, like his “media publicist” he pranced around with at Avalon Airshow. You have to spend money to make money... she wasn’t hanging around in the 45 degree heat for the fun of it!

It’s been amusing to watch his “progress” in his quest to become a YouTuber including purchasing a $400,000? aircraft to make videos. What you don’t see is the issues that come up like when he made a video about Cirrus engine management and the distributor / maintenance org forced him to take it down as it was likely to damage engines if followed.

The other issue is that people complain about you constantly, same as Steveo1Kinevo in Florida, plus Tucker Gott in his paraglider, who are frequently being called by the FAA, but mentioning the FAA in your thumbnail is great clickbait!

Most aviation channel subscribers are teenagers who want to learn to fly, so they keep watching and the advertisers keep paying.... whatever pays your bills, so good luck, but it will be a hard road to become an actor and a celebrity, unless that’s your background.

I feel sorry for all the primary school kids growing up who all want to be youtubers because of the .1% of the population that are successful at it!

PS: you need 1,000 subscribers and a certain number of minutes of viewing to be monetised.

Last edited by Squawk7700; 12th Nov 2020 at 00:53.