PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-2
Thread: Cardiff-2
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2020, 16:11
fanrailuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Letsflycwl
Read today that Loganair are basing an aircraft at MME to operate ABZ, BHD, DUB, JER & NQY all in competition with Eastern that only just started there and operate to the same destinations.

Baffles me how a small airport like MME has secured 2 airlines within months (yes I know these have incentives from the Mayor) but I doubt very much MME can support 2 airlines on the same routes.

I would have thought CWL would be out there chasing an airline like Eastern to base another aircraft to compliment VLY and the soon to be BHD. Both EDI & DUB would fit well and also possibly a less frequent JER as these had high passenger figures.

CWL seems to be the only ex-Flybe airport that has been snubbed by Aer Lingus, Aurigny, Blue Islands and Loganair. Just seems weird to me as they would have no competition and pick of the best routes......come on Eastern (or another carrier) give us another J41 or AT7 !!!

At this rate MME, EXT & NQY will all be busier than CWL !!
You’re right in saying that MME cannot and will not sustain both of these airlines on these routes.

CWL does not need these regional airlines for its own survival - both of which may or may not survive the pandemic.

Holding off is the best thing the management can do right now, in my opinion. It may not bode well for pax figures or how the airport appears to be spending taxpayers money, but CWL has been burned SO many times before that waiting this one out is probably the best thing they can do.

The Senedd cannot be seen to throw money at airlines like the Tees Valley mayor seems to enjoy so much (during a global pandemic)...