PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA license transfer- Is it possible to do TR/CPL as one?
Old 10th Nov 2020, 13:02
lilflyboy262...2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA license transfer- Is it possible to do TR/CPL as one?

Hello all,

I've posted this over in the pilots training forum as well. Not sure if it's the right place to get an answer as it seems to be more European pilots than American.
Mod's, feel free to delete whichever of the two that is in the wrong place!

A slight variation to the typical "how to" licence transfer question. And it's a 2 part question. As I don't currently have an ATPL (Thanks Greek HCAA 🙄🙄🙄🙄 ), it means I will have to convert a CPL to FAA CPL.
After completing the initial transfer that gives me a FAA PPL, I will then conduct the required flight training for the CPL.

Crawling through Part 61, it looks like I will need 20hrs flight training. Is it possible to do the required flight time as part of the type rating? (excluding the 5hrs in a SE as I have pointed out in the following text)

Part 61 states:
3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(1) of this part that includes at least—(i) Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. ****Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a single engine airplane;****

(ii) 10 hours of training in a complex airplane, a turbine-powered airplane, or a technically advanced airplane (TAA) that meets the requirements of paragraph (j) of this section, or any combination thereof. The airplane must be appropriate to land or sea for the rating sought;

To me, all of these manoeuvres are carried out during the type rating, and, would cover the flight time requirements.

Part 2 of the question.Can the CPL and TR flight test be carried out at the same time?

Trying to save a bit of time as well as a few dollars.

Thanks in advance!