PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remembrance 2020
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2020, 19:52
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Remembrance 2020

In the absence of any other thread concerning the national observing of Remembrance in this challenging and hopefully unique year, I thought it should not pass without comment (and yes I realise that 11/11 is still to come). Given the difficulties posed by this wretched virus, I thought that the RBL Festival of Remembrance on Saturday evening, and the Cenotaph Ceremony on Sunday, were both conducted extremely well despite the greatly diminished numbers at both. The core message throughout was there, as it always is. What was absent was unavoidable; the public, the full marchpast, the Massed Bands, etc, but there were some veterans, they did march past, and there was a Band (that of the Scots Guards?). The Armed Forces and the Civilian Services were all represented with contingents. All in all it was all well done despite the difficulties. Like the rest of the nation I watched it on TV, other than the two minutes silence which iaw HMG recommendations I observed on my doorstep.

Let us hope that next year we can go back to gathering around our local War Memorial or wherever we favour to pay homage to the fallen.