PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shall I train to be a Pilot?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2020, 17:56
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following on from excrab’s post above, I would sound a another serious note of caution.

if you have a six figure sum to invest, then invest it somewhere traditional where hopefully it might grow or keep pace with future inflation.

Get a foothold in aviation with a PPL and perhaps an associated rating or two.

Don’t be lulled by the idea that a CPL and 250 hours is going to have you at the head of the queue when airlines start recruiting again. It won’t! It never really has, and it has the potential to work adversely to your career goals depending on what you want and what eventually comes out of this mess.

Airlines are going to pick up “experience” for a song for the foreseeable future. As and when cadet programmes next become a part of the landscape, it will undoubtably be little changed in format from where they have been for the last 60 years! These programmes take people through the full time programmes that eventually (and hopefully) deposit them in the right hand seat of an airliner. Having a CPL would normally preclude you from such programmes.

if you want a CPL then go for it, but be mindful of the realities of what you are likely to be able to do with it and 250 hours in your logbook. I’ve been saying that for the last 15 years here, but it now becomes particularly poignant! My advice would be to keep your powder dry and your money firmly tucked away somewhere. When the market evolves its way out of this, there will be sufficient lead time to make careful and better informed choices.