PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 8th Nov 2020, 00:38
Mr Approach

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Glen,
I have expressed by cynicism about the current Senate enquiry many times in this forum and others; this is based on the political views of the Chair Senator Susan MacDonald. Her own web site contains this information "She is a member of the Liberal National Party of Queensland and sits with the National Party in federal parliament." The National Party in the Federal Parliament traditionally controls the portfolio containing aviation matters and hence CASA; currently the Minister is the leader of the National Party the Honourable Michael McCormack.

Am I just being silly or is the National Party so badly organised that it will allow a Senator from Queensland to undermine an agency which is the responsibility of their Leader? If everyone reading this thinks so, or believes that Senator MacDonald is just doing some undercover work for Minister McCormack, they underestimate the power of political patronage. Even though, I believe, that Senator MacDonald's father was once the president of the Country Party in Queensland, the Nationals choose whose name is put forward for safe Senate seats and if the honourable lady rocks the boat, they will get rid of her.

My personal (cynical) view is that her endeavour is designed to shore up the outback Qld vote for the Nationals without actually doing anything. (That is not to say that a little win over Angel Flight would consitute not doing anything, but I hope you get the drift)

The truth is that the Minister could institute changes in CASA at any time, however he will not and indeed will appoint a steady-as-she-goes successor to Mr. Carmody, who will do precisely what the Minister wants.

Good luck Glen, but choose your avenues of redress wisely.

Your aye - Mr.Approach

Last edited by Mr Approach; 8th Nov 2020 at 00:39. Reason: Spelling