PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air dropped (heavyweight) torpedoes - obsolete for FW against all surface targets?
Old 7th Nov 2020, 13:09
SLXOwft

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
Air dropped (heavyweight) torpedoes - obsolete for FW against all surface targets?

More idle musings - prompted by an imminent anniversary, I was thinking about use of air dropped torpedos against surface targets in confined and contested environments.

Back in 1982 the FAA and CANA co-operated on the development of a Pucara prototype designed to drop WW2 vintage US Mk 13 torpedoes. The project was abandoned as the war had ended before it came to fruition I presume this was to find a more effective way to attack ships in the confined waters near San Carlos. I assume using a RW platform would have been suicidal, maybe a Pucara at 250+ kts would have had more survivability. Had they been able to develop it successfully in time it could possibly have made life more difficult in Falkland Sound and in the gunlines off Stanley. Had it been available I assume these would have flown from the mainland with diversionary raids and top cover but even Hi-Lo-Hi they would have had to land on the islands (so probably a one way trip).

The advent of anti-ship missiles are said to have rendered heavyweight air dropped torpedoes obsolete in the anti surface role. However, nearly forty years on are there limited circumstances in which a FW launched dumb heavyweight torpedo could still be the answer to taking out larger vessels; particularly in the face of effective countermeasures and air defences with topography limiting the time to acquire the target? I admit it's probably a completely mad idea.

Last edited by SLXOwft; 9th Nov 2020 at 13:05. Reason: spelling