PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I Need a GPS?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2003, 22:18
cgjog182

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need a GPS?

Navigation is pretty easy in my area, given the islands, mountains, etc. but I'd hate to navigate using just charts on the prairies (Saskatchewan, Iowa) where one farm field looks like another.

Being skilled also means using all tools at hand. Purists may demand dead reckoning but they probably get lost a lot. These days with security so tight, wouldn't it be a better idea to really know where you are.

I've been using a handheld GPS for ten years. I mainly use it as a secondary for IFR flying. Wouldn't want to be without it. Got mine wired in to the bus bar in my a/c so I don't have to feed it batteries. Antenna is mounted on the glareshield. A few wires but tie down straps make the situation much tidier.

My first unit was a Garmin 95. Got pretty familiar with it and actually gave a few seminars on it's use at my flying club. I've got the 195 now and it's all one really needs. The best feature is the HSI. All the manufacturers make good units, though, so see if you can look at the various ones at an aviation show. Once you learn one manufacturer's protocol, you can slide into any brand with ease.

I've been most successful with Tropic Aero in Fort Lauderdale and GPS World in the Chicago area. See Trade-A-Plane.

The first time the weather goes south, it's bumpy, and you have that uncomfortable feeling you might need a place to land now....and you don't know where you are, you'll wish you had one. Spend the money!

Fred