PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 crashed Alps
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2020, 13:43
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torquetalk
There is nevertheless clearly a training deficit, as the kinds of accidents which befall R44s have a wearisome familiarity. As per previous posts, I believe more focus on performance and the flight envelope, together with targeted CRM could help.
It's worth pointing out that there appear to be clear systemic failures associated with training, operations and maintenance in certain geographical areas. New Zealand and Brazil appear to have suffered the most, with Australia also noteworthy. You simply don't see the same level of Robinson carnage in the US and UK.

For the record, I would prefer the R44 over an R22. It is a very capable aircraft and has much more energy in the rotor than the R22.
Agreed. I enjoy flying the 44 much more than the 22 and feel much safer in it. However, it seems people can get much more casual about W&B with the 44, too casual. When you walk up to the 22 you intuitively know weight is going to be an issue, and with only two folks on board the calculations are half that of the 44 (not that they are anywhere near complex, of course). With the 44 it's all too easy to think "Half tanks, I'm good!" and be wrong. This is particularly true in the US where people super-size themselves with a depressing amount of normalcy.