PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Northwest Pilot Shot by Police
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2002, 10:18
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Northwest Pilot Shot by Police

Although alcohol was probably a factor in this incident, I would not trust many of my colleagues with guns in the cockpit.. .. ._________________________________________________. .. .Law enforcers shoot and kill armed NWA pilot in North Dakota. . . .Associated Press . . . .Published Mar 11, 2002. .LAKOTA, N.D. -- Law enforcement officers shot a Northwest Airlines pilot to death on his front porch here after he fired at them, the Nelson County sheriff says. . .. .Sheriff Dale Quam said Rick Kaseman, 52, came out of his house with a gun in his hand and became increasingly belligerent after Lakota's police chief and sheriff's deputies came to check on him Friday night. . .. ."We just told him we were there to see how he was doing, and he got upset and came with a gun in his hand, and he wouldn't put it down," Quam said. "He raised the gun, pointed it at one of the deputies, and fired one round off. They returned fire." . .. .Kaseman died on his front porch, Quam said. No one else was injured. Lakota is about 60 miles west of Grand Forks.. .. .Northwest spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch confirmed today that Kaseman worked as a pilot for the airline, but he declined to say how long he had been employed there. . .. .Quam said he knew of no history of legal or domestic trouble from Kaseman. . .. .The sheriff said one deputy and the police chief fired several rounds, "but they didn't empty their guns." . .. .North Dakota's Bureau of Criminal Investigation is investigating the shooting. Nelson County State's Attorney Terry Devine said a preliminary report indicates both officers acted properly. . .. .Devine said the initial investigation of the shooting indicates Kaseman had a problem with depression, and that alcohol was involved. . .. .It started when a 911 call came in about 8 p.m. Friday, Quam said. . .. .Kaseman's wife, Venetia, and their two boys had gone to a neighbor's home after "some family problem," Quam said. . .. .Lakota Police Chief Jim Klinicke called Quam for help, the sheriff said, and he came with two deputies, Rob Melby and Scott Trenda. . .. .Quam said he was in back, guarding the alley, when Kaseman came out on his front porch and began arguing loudly with the officers. . .. .Devine said a witness, a friend of Kaseman's, told him he saw "two muzzle flashes" from Kaseman's gun before officers fired. . .. .Neighbors said it sounded like firecrackers going off. . .. .The officers fired semiautomatic handguns, as did Kaseman, Devine said. . .. .The Kasemans had moved to Lakota about eight years ago, neighbors said, and had bought one of the biggest and oldest homes in town. The couple spent a lot of time working on the century-old house, and gave tours of it, the neighbors said.. .. .The oldest of the couple's three children, a daughter, is in college, neighbors said. Two boys are in fourth grade and junior high. . .. .Boyd Johnson lived next door until a few years ago. . .. ."We did quite a few projects, working on houses," Johnson said of Kaseman. "He was a very interesting guy, real nice guy. Always working, refurbishing his house when he was home. His biggest hobby was woodworking and working on his house. He was hard worker, that's for sure. . .. ."We were watching TV (Friday night) and thought it sounded like firecrackers going off," Johnson said. "I can't believe it happened. Personally, I think if he wanted to hit the cops, I think he would have. I don't think he would ever shoot anyone intentionally. He was a pretty gentle man." . .. .Neighbors said Kaseman was a native of Gackle and was in the Air Force before he became a private airline pilot. He also volunteered at the fire department, they said. . .. .His wife, a native of England, volunteers on the local ambulance and drives a school bus, neighbors said. . .. .It was the first shooting in Lakota since 1976, Quam said. . .. .<a href="http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/1924182.html" target="_blank">http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/1924182.html</a>