PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 5th Nov 2020, 16:01
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
..... No manifesto is chucked aside with such a cavalier attitude as you suggest, unless you are a Lib Dem and ylou are talking tuition fees...
Ok, to be fair (and perhaps nearer the reality), I was simply making the point that the world we live in is somewhat more complex than the "PM says, the Party jumps" world as in your post #489. Clearly, any Party wishes to deliver what it offers in the Manifesto.

However, the track record of Manifesto's being achieved is patchy, often due to changing circumstances such as 2008 or Covid. On a good day, many a manifesto relies on a dose of good fortune as the "affordability" of such plans is often debatable - much like some MoD Procurement Projects as Asturias56 wryly observes in post #497! There are also other forces at work when priorities need to be weighed up as various Ministers fight their corner for a slice of the pie as Easy Street observes in post #490. I'd suggest the "human nature" satirically demonstrated in "Yes Minister" has not changed much when it comes to such fights. That was the beauty of that sitcom - then and now!

This Thread started on 2nd Dec last year. Many of us "rolled eyes" having seen endless "brave new worlds" all of which have crashed or, rather, fizzled out. Today, the whole game has changed significantly. We have, on the last couple of pages, been discussing how to minimise the long term impact of the current Covid borrowing. Any Review now has Covid repayments to factor in when it comes to "affordability". As Marly Lite said at post #475, "Dont worry, YOU (and I) will pay for it in taxes and inflation. For the rest of our lives."! One of my kids is on furlough - oblivious as to what this is lining her and her generation up for long after H 'n' H has checked out from "life".

Interesting times ...... and a whole new slant to the title of this Thread - ".....get your bids in now ladies & gents" - we could add "... now the limited pie is about to be slashed further!". The Economy over the next few years has just become even more unpredictable, hence the one-year settlement being mooted.