PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I Need a GPS?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2003, 20:44
FNG
Not so N, but still FG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that the advice offered by SSD and Dublinpilot is very sensible. GPS is something which you could integrate into your navigational armoury once you are confident with your deduced reckoning skills which, as you rightly point out, are very satisfying to use (it's always rewarding to look at your watch and say "the airfield should be just over...there" and it is).

After a few years of flying around without any GPS, the aircraft which I currently fly is fitted with a fairly posh GPS which has many features I have not, so far, spent the time to learn about. I switch on the moving map display and glance at it from time to time as a back up/error check, but otherwise don't really use it. I appreciate that there are many positive features of GPS for use in visual navigation and fuel management, which can help with workload and accuracy and enhance safety, and not every pilot using a GPS fits the head-down-press-on-regardless-why-do-I-need-windows stereotype, but perhaps if you get into GPS too early on in your PPL flying there's a risk of unwittingly turning into one of of those.