PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying for free to build hours
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2020, 11:06
nigelsomers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
You're welcome.

It was your choice to take on the debt, a huge investment in a volatile industry that presumably you did due dilligence on and understood the considerable risk, so why should others like myself who made the commitment by working four jobs simultaneously to pay for it as they went along be expected to give up their career for someone who chose to put themselves in that situation?

Your debt is your choice. If it is a VET debt than we flying taxpayers are already subsidising you. By deliberately setting yourself up to be under the threshold you are already getting a free ride apart from the indexation, isn't that enough? It's not like the bank is going to come along and take your house. My advice, get a trade and start contributing.
Harsh! Taxpayers didn't subsidise my student loan debt in the long term. It's a debt I owe to the government indexed annually. It's not a donation from taxpayers. The whole point of taking on VET debt is to work in the aviation industry, earn above the threshold, and become an ordinary contributing taxpayer (which also slowly chips away at paying off the VET debt through my aviation career).