PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing In Flight Deployment of Thrust Reverse 737NG
Old 5th Nov 2020, 11:03
Porto Pete

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Derfred
Because you need full rudder deflection in the event of a single-engine go-around at 100 feet...
From the FCOM:

At speeds above approximately 135 kts, both hydraulic system A and B pressure are each reduced within the main PCU by approximately 25% each. This function limits full rudder authority in flight after takeoff and before landing.
I think you're confusing full rudder pedal input with full rudder surface deflection?

But even with an erroneous radio altimeter indicating less than 10 ft., it would still be necessary to lift the piggyback lever before you could get reverser deployment. I sincerely hope there are no pilots out there that are dumb enough to try it...
No but bad habits creep in. I have had quite a few pilots get in the habit of moving their hands from the thrust levers onto the reversers in the flare after they'd closed them and start to squeeze upwards. A karate chop usually ensued and a friendly chat on the taxi in about the dangers of having one reverser open and potentially one not open at 10' (I had reversers fail to open from time to time) and the runway excursion that would likely occur. As with most bad habits they were unaware they were doing it and no one had told them.