PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold weather climb performance: fact or fiction?
Old 5th Dec 2003, 20:14
hawk37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, Keith, quite the post. You took a tremendous amount of time to write that, an amount of time that will only be surpassed by the number of times I re-read it. I appreciate your efforts.

What still bothers me is that I can make an argument, based on THRUST, and not power, that is still academically unclear to me.

Consider thrust changes with tas and temp as being small enough to not be a factor, perhaps as with early non bypass jet engines on a cool day.

Regardless of temperature, climbing at V min drag gives a constant amount of excess thrust. This constant amount of excess thrust gives a constant climb angle. This constant climb angle gives a higher rate of climb on cool days than very cold days.

I’m still assuming this ACADEMIC argument is 100% logical I’m also assuming that it is not what happens in the REAL world for ONE simple reason. As you pointed out, attaining constant thrust with changes in tas and temperature do not happen.

I'm also assuming that if engine manufacturers came up with engine controls that could maintain a constant thrust throughout some defined envelope, that my argument of higher rate on a warmer day, at V min drag would be correct

thanks

Edited for formatting only

Last edited by Captain Stable; 5th Dec 2003 at 21:23.