PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can Pre-Flight Testing Help Restore International Travel?
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 20:46
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. Aviation is not a separate phenomenon that's isolated from the overall tendencies in the world. And COVID has accelerated some trends which were already there long before it. For example, long before the crisis it was evident that the glory days of the B747, A340, A380 etc were gone. Now, this has been completely cemented. Smaller aircraft capable of flying more different origin-destination pairs profitably are replacing the behemoths. At the same time, online shopping is taking off big time - and those purchases need to be delivered somehow. Not to mention that some markets (like gadgets) were far smaller 20 years ago. If you only compare the number of phones and tablets shipped these days to the number of electrical appliances shipped in 2000, that's one new market in itself. Also, wealthy European travellers are largely still discovering the beauty of private air travel, as compared to business class on a conventional airline - and interest towards business jet hire or fractional ownership is growing steadily. So, it wouldn't be any surprise if your, mine or anyone else's next job is in cargo or corporate instead of an airline.

That being said and returning to the original topic of traveller testing, I don't think that widespread, quick and cheap testing will be something crafted specifically for travel. Looks like it will be another tool adopted by society in general, with its significance for aviation being a consequence of that rather than an isolated phenomenon. Have a look at Slovakia for example. They tested two-thirds of their population in two days, isolating some 38,000 cases which would have otherwise gone largely undetected. Round two of this experiment is in a week. And, if it proves successful, I think that many other countries or affected areas will follow suit. If this helps in restricting contagion, there's no reason to think of any aviation-specific testing regime as the problem will be addressed on a far larger scale.