PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS disruption
Thread: GPS disruption
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 12:17
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Very good question, which for answering it we have to go into politics, and I am not sure how the Mods here will react .
I can try but before I do that I want to say that I am not pro one side or another, just sating the bare facts.

I take the area and flight path you described as an example . : Paphos Northwest ,,then you go into ERCAN airspace right ? well this airspace is the result on the Turkish invasion of North Cyprus in 1974 and is not recognized by the neighbors . for ICAO this is still Nicosia FIR., and for the Cypriots , and the Greeks, it is illegal occupied airspace by the Turkish air force. Flying in there , as most airlines do to fly direct to and from Larnaca , already puts you into the grey zone.
The latest military tensions between Turkey and Greece , the full stage war in Syria are making this whole area a conflict area. If you add Israeli and Russian fighters flying around fully armed flying above the Mediterranean, you will see that defining which area to avoid there becomes either very difficult or extremely clear. .
The lessons of MH 17 and Ukraine 752 should not be forgotten too easily.
.Jamming is one thing , Spoofing is far more dangerous as it could divert you to fly inside a real conflict area and you can easily become a misidentified target as you are not supposed to be there.
During the Iran-Iraq war , civil cargo lights delivering weapons to Iran were spoofed into Russian airspace to be intercepted or even shot down ( an Argentinian CL44 from Paphos to Teheran was shot down like this in 1981 over Armenia) by just imitating a VOR signal at a much higher power output than the real one .That was pre-GPS times but same results. .