PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Cadet Pilot extinct down under?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 10:18
krismiler

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I can't see the need for an airline to look at cadets for at least 5 years. Most airlines are laying off at the moment and are still overstaffed in anticipation of the recovery. Once recruitment commences again, staff who have been laid off will be first in the queue followed by those from other companies with considerable airline experience. Plenty of Australian pilots have been laid off overseas and are back home driving busses and combine harvesters. With the new contract, Cathay Pacific pilots would be better off flying a turboprop in their own country and would come back at the drop of a hat if they had the chance.

Even if you do get in, career progression can move at a glacial pace. A pilot from my previous company joined QF in 2008 as a S/O on the B744 and remained in that position until he was recently stood down and joined Pilots4Harvest2020 on Facebook, looking for work in the agricultural sector. His future aviation prospects aren't brilliant with second officer time on an obsolete type. In many other airlines, he would have already have a narrowbody command or at least be a senior widebody F/O close to upgrade. In a low cost he would probably have 6 - 7 years in the left seat already.

I would save my money until things improve and there's a realistic prospect of getting a job when you get your licence.