PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 crashed Alps
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2020, 19:02
Arnie Madsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTSN
There ... you just hit the nail firmly on the head. In 25 years plus of following Robinson rotor issues this seems to be the view of a number of the worlds experts. The numerous unexplained Robinson rotor divergence issues are unique but so is the rotor head design with a teeter and 2 coning hinges. I’m sure this particular accident was due to being out in the wrong kind of weather and the result would have been the same regardless of what type of light helicopter was being flown. More frequent checks on the condition of the coning bolts and closely monitoring preload (resistance to movement) should be introduced. A Robinson operator told a story on here (PPrune) a couple of years ago of finding the broken off end of his coning bolt during a pre flight check in the hangar (a little alarming I know). I’m not a Robinson hater in any shape or form and would be willing to assist in any way I could reducing or solving this issue.

I am also suspicious of having 3 hinge points on a 2 blade rotor .... if a split second disturbance caused one blade to pivot on a coning hinge it would immediately put everything out of phase and would self-destruct.
Too add to that there is another unusual thing about the R rotor head.

ALL OTHER 2-blade systems connect the swash plate linkage to the blade pitch arm exactly at the teeter hinge position.

That way pitch is never altered when the rotor teeters, Pretty much an industry standard .

HOWEVER in the R system the pitch link is offset of main teeter point.

I could never wrap my head around how they get that to work