PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Viscount Accident Mangalore 1954
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2020, 07:56
boaccomet4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centaurus. Interesting reading indeed. As you part of No.34 Squadron what was your experience of operating the Viscount? Most of the RPT guys from Ansett-ANA and TAA , that operated the type, related that the Cockpit layout was an ergonomic nightmare and the workload was pretty high. My research also indicated that upon retirement from the RAAF the airframes of the two Viscounts only had a total of around 5000hrs each.
As for the DCA Examiners of Airmen in the NSW division in the late 1960's and early seventies/. Many had WW11 experience with either the RAF and or RAAF. Certainly were interesting characters with their own eccentricities. Was tested by a few of them and hopefully if you had a friendly one he would teach you something new at the same time.
As far as I know only one of those Examiners is alive today. Can remember them having a fleet of Merlin and V-Tail Bonanza's at their disposal to visit opererators around NSW for audits and flight tests.
Have always had a passion for the Viscount as it was the first turboprop airliner I flew in as passenger when I was a boy and kept a log of each flight and rego.
Nothing like the sound of those 4 Rolls Royce Darts screaming/whining.
Can remember boarding a TAA Viscount to return to Sydney from the Gold Coast and after startup of no.4 engine the aircraft developed a massive vibration. Engines were shut down and we we asked to return to the terminal. Around an hour or so later the two pilots boarded and ferried it to Brisbane. Am pretty sure it was ferried on three engines.
Hosties stayed with us and served us our meal/refreshements within the terminal. Hours later a F27 arrived to take us back to Sydney.