PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Military Aircraft Would You Bring Back To Service?
Old 31st Oct 2020, 22:55
BVRAAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
Agreed, they let the engineers go and ran it shortly afterwards and thus it’s no longer inhibited I believe, it is or was dumped outside next to the poo farm.

Even worse is the Canberra they bought to restore to fly, an odd choice I thought at the time as the Kemble? ones were for sale and airworthy, it was stripped down for rebuild then had the openings taped over and dumped outside near one of the crash gates, in effect open to the elements.

Once it ceased flying, the cash cow that was 558 died a death, as it would, and so much for the promises made to the Lottery re housing it for education etc.... it should never have gone to Doncaster, airside access was always going to put an end to runs etc that generated income.

Such a shame, but the writing was on the wall when she was grounded, she just became another Cold War relic slowly rotting away on an old airfield.
Every so often, they take the covers off and spool the engines up.

I can't see why they bother to be honest.
She'll never fly again. Regular airside access is virtually impossible to make regular runs viable.

It's time to either contemplate moving it to a museum where it will be properly looked after, or, I reckon I could make good use out of its recycled aluminium every morning after a shower.