PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 crashed Alps
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2020, 13:58
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbiee
Congratulations! You've just won the "Butthurt over Robinsons" comment of the week!
Hahahahahaha! That literally made me laugh out loud!

On a more serious note, Robinsons are fine machines and clearly capable of being operated in mountainous terrain safely. And, yes, you do that in part by paying attention your speed in accordance with the POH and applicable Robinson Safety Notices, BR. My personal minimums tend more towards gust 25 for mountainous terrain, and I do try to respect the terrain in appropriate ways. But don't take my word for it. There are plenty of schools who teach mountain and high altitude operations in Robinsons. Youtube is full of those videos. You don't see Robinsons dropping from the sky like flies.

TT hit the nail squarely on the head: "Low cost helicopter meets low experience pilot flying in a low discipline environment." That statement could probably preface 90% of all Robinson accident reports.

@Torquetalk please confirm that by "low cost" your meant "more easily accessible and affordable" as opposed to "poorly designed or incapable"?

eta: this topic and this one are so similar you could probably combine them.

Last edited by aa777888; 31st Oct 2020 at 13:59. Reason: added a thought