PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aegean Airlines Fly for Food
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2020, 10:52
Uplinker

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts
Ignoring, for the moment, the extra difficulties the Covid19 virus is causing; there is nothing necessarily wrong with this sort of job for this sort of salary. It depends where you are on the aviation ladder.

I agree with PontiusPilotus: As long as the airline and terms and conditions are not Dickension, and if the (low) salary is nevertheless sufficient to rent a place to live in Greece and eat; then a paid gig flying a modern A320 could be just the ticket for some. Not for their whole flying career perhaps, but a couple of years maybe, or until becoming a Captain.

When my ATPL was still frozen, my first flying job was on a Shed (Shorts 360) for quite low money. But the company were great, the flying was interesting and I learned a lot, rapidly. I was able to afford rent, petrol and food, and gain flying hours. It suited me and my (low) level of experience at the time.

As far as ATPL knowledge, I agree with Flying Clog; yes you don't use all of it every day, but you do need a depth of knowledge to appreciate the physics of aviation, aircraft and navigation. Pilots of both the recent over-run and the very late descent leading to the gear up landing accidents obviously had not studied their ATPLs - I don't know how they gained their licences, but they obviously had no appreciation of the physics involved.

Last edited by Uplinker; 31st Oct 2020 at 11:04.