PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2020, 03:47
Global Aviator

Received 129 Likes on 63 Posts
Never let the facts get in the way of a good discussion!

Originally Posted by wheels_down
How does one make money when your capped at a few dozen per flight. Please go on.

Your tunnel vision is off the charts.
No problem at all Wheels. I do not have the exact costs of the tickets, just a little google and even then probably not entirely correct. A few guestimations in there for sure however it wouldn't be to far from correct.

LHR DRW -

42 Business - call it $4500 (however I am sure I read it was higher) = $189,000.
130 Premium & Economy - call it $2150 (actually $2500 with the taxes, plus Premium was more, however without knowing the exact pax in each class it is guesstimations) = $279,000.
Total revenue on the soft side = $468,000.

Not knowing where the aircraft originated or went after call it 30 hours of flying, $468,000 / 30 = $15,600 per hour.

Now do the sums on India.

As I said I know my numbers are not spot on, however for the argument you can see that it actually does work. No not the rate an airliner would normally want to achieve, however most likely not operating in the loss zone, who knows what the Government tipped in, backroom deals. I didn't see a public tender, did you?

Who has the tunnel vision? Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Back to the borders!

I should have been clearer in what I meant in the first place. Yes the airlines flying into Australia no doubt have their government support. Mind you charging up to 20k for First and not far off it for Business you can't blame the airline, plus no doubt flying around with a belly full of cargo. I have said all along that flying with 30-50 pax is not sustainable. There are however ways to make certain routes work. SQ for instance have been hauling massive amounts of belly cargo in. Without knowing exactly but I would imagine most flights into MEL would be the same as ZERO pax onboard, otherwise why would they be flying?