PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tolerating an un-airworthy aircraft. Wing drops at stall
Old 30th Oct 2020, 10:40
cattletruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my FW training at a big Victorian aero club that had lots of PA-28s during a golden era and think I came out the other side all the better for it. Yes it was a bit of meat factory, but on the flip side there was a hell of a lot of variety in the experience stakes which coupled with a sense of self preservation was where the true value-add came from. The PA-28s were absolute shocker student hacks before their 100 hourly came up, and I really felt for the chief engineer charged with keeping these sh!t boxes airworthy. I came across many with flat spotted tyres, chipped props and some would backfire in the circuit, others would be leaking fuel on the ground, even found one with a huge ding in the leading edge (how on Earth!!). Flying them was just as variable, from fouling spark plugs to carby heat that was stuck either on or off, often discovered practicing an engine failure. I even had a character building engine fire on take off necessitating a forced landing. As for stalling them, it's quite a lame manoeuvre in a PA-28, I remember telling my instructor that if ever I was going to stall this thing it would be with full power, so we tried it, yes the wing dropped with a lot of effort but recovered just as quick, we gave up after breaching the CTA limit at 6500ft. I even got castigated for parking one one of these things just inches between a another parked aircraft and the club house due to lack of parking spots, not because of the feat but rightly because of human safety, and I can recall with a grand total of 20 hours of total aeronautical experience flying solo with a full tank of gas I took a PA-28 down to 500ft to avoid primary radar and headed across Western Port Bay into Bass Straight for a Captain Cook of King Island. A few minutes into this crossing the reality of the type of hack I was flying set in with single-engine-sound-over-water paranoia setting in, so I turned back and landed keeping my disappointment to myself. Yes, I had my favourite PA-28s in that fleet and others not so, but they were all much of a muchness, even when flying them backwards.