PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 29th Oct 2020, 23:08
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Wingspar
I totally agree Doc but I can’t see the guys ‘n’ gals sitting back for three years sucking this. How would 380 crew feel having passed on VR and sat out three years of stand down then be told we are not bringing them back?
Just to clarify, the stand down period of the 380, as evidenced by this article, is “at least three years”, so there’s no guarantee 3 years is the maximum stand down time, but the current recovery plan does have them returning when international passenger volumes have returned to sufficient levels.

How would they feel? Not sure, it could be a range of emotions but most likely regret I would think. I wonder if there’s a lot of crew, especially senior SOs, who regret not taking up an upgrade, especially to the 737, about now? Most probably. We all make our career choices based on what we believe is best at the time of the decision, Maybe some if they had their time over wished they sought a stable career like medicine, but you don’t get to go back in life and have do overs. Resilience is key here. The pre Covid career will not be returning.

As far as negotiations go possibly 380 pilots could be dual endorsed to the 330? Although that would flood the 330 fleet with un-needed pilots, so their eventual return to full time work would be delayed, or their divisors would have to be lowered even further. It would give the advantage of bringing the 380 pilots into a fleet that has been somewhat current and has a current C&T system, but would existing 330 pilots be happy?

747 crews could be endorsed to the 787, but it’ll be a longer time for the 787 to come back flying substantially. Again will existing 787 crews be happy with this?