PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow emergency landing
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2020, 21:31
Jimmy.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www-ainonline-com.cdn.amppro...tion-news/gene

"During ground testing, the gearbox ran for more than seven hours and the test was halted only when the engineers got to the time when the helicopter would have run out of a full load of fuel. The new “Phase IV” gearbox was also flown for more than 200 flight hours and also later torn down and inspected in the presence of the FAA.

Notably, the design uses a supplemental fuel pump and additional oil lines to reuse main gearbox oil that is accumulated in a lower sump in the event of primary lubrication failure. While some other OEMs have developed “run dry” gearboxes that can function for between 30 and 50 minutes without primary lubrication, Sikorsky found this of dubious value given the offshore distances some of its customers must fly.

When secondary lubrication kicks in, the event generates a “technical indicator” back to Sikorsky to facilitate troubleshooting once the impacted helicopter lands or returns to base. Brady said customers greeted the new gearbox enthusiastically and want it “as soon as possible.”

As I've said, nice feature, but if flying along with a MGB BYPASS and the ECL stating to don't put that switch in MAN COOL, I would be very concerned about that temperature bar rising on my EICAS if not just few miles away.