PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific ‘to axe 6,000 staff and Dragon brand’ in bid to stay afloat
Old 29th Oct 2020, 12:34
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaulGoodman
STW, why would you sign ANYTHING that makes it easier and cheaper to be made redundant in the future? I don’t get it. Is it fear?
Pied, cxorcist and I signed because it might result in more money compared to not signing it.

As for protection from redundancy, there isn't any either way.

Pied,
I freely admit I was too optimistic. I was hoping for at least a temporary arrangement. But let's not forget the most catastrophic prophesies did not come true either, at least from a cx employee perspective. Regarding CC etc, my argument was not tied to the current crisis but to the last ( or the one before the last, lost count). I would have about 50k USD more in my bank account had we not rejected the payrise. There was also a 10 year ARAPA guarantee on the table at a later point, whether that would have rendered at least some protection I honestly don't know. Water under the bridge.

In defence of our employer I would argue that it is a global crisis, cx is bleeding money and no end in sight. What would you do if it was your company? At the end of the day it was the virus that got us, not some evil management. The entire industry is destroyed, from now on pilots are blue collar workers forever, everywhere. Maybe the US will have a few more years in it, but sooner or later the lower wages will spread to them as well. Amazon pays less than UPS and so the race to the bottom continues. Every new contract will be worse than any old one, globally. For what it's worth, I will stay for another two years and then retire.Ironically this whole desaster might give me the push I need, I have no pleasure doing this job since a long time anyway and I don't like to live in HK. I will still end up with more assets than anyone I know that started flight school at the same time, same as most of you. Thanks for the fish.

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 29th Oct 2020 at 13:19.