PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands - Bomb Fusing
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2020, 14:36
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

While I like the idea of using RX for boats, their accuracy is highly dependent upon release parameters like gee and AoA of the attack jet.

That being said, my #2 sunk a Cambodian PT boat with RX during the Mayaguez incident of 1975. Our SLUF's had the computed inpact mode for the 2.75" RX with an "in-range" cue at 8,000 feet. As Sandies, we used the RX for both marking tgts and the other pod loaded with HEAP wrhds. His RX went thru the PT boat and blew out the bottom! By the time he could look back the water was already flooding the boat.

The problem is that you had to be very "gentle" to get the advertised acuracy. The slightest gee would result in a piss poor shot. Also, a low AoA was desireable so the RX would be aligned with the airflow. The CRV-7 that came about in the 70's was far superior to what I used from 1968 - 1975. Nevertheless, it still had the same launch requirements to get the advertised dispersion.

Using a decent impact fuze with slight delay, RX would be good for small boats if you survived the pass. Being "gentle" for launch is not good for your survival. Bombs are 100% ballistic and your CCIP or DTOS mode doesn't need "gentle" gee or low AoA to get great bombs. Those modes use your "instantaneous" flight path ( which is same as bomb you are carrying, heh heh) so the only correction is for time that the release mechanism needs. The DTOS mode of the SLUF would have been a killer for the Argies using their pig iron with good fuzes - point, designate and follow steering for a brief time with pickle button depressed.

Gums opines...

Last edited by gums; 29th Oct 2020 at 00:16.