PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NO Instrument App/NO TAF - Alternate ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2020, 06:46
Trevor the lover

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
mmmm345

You asked for additional views a few posts back. Definitively - NO TAF means ALTERNATE. ENR 11.7.1.3 - WHEN AN AERODROME FORECAST IS NOT AVAILABLE, OR IS MARKED "PROVISIONAL" THE PIC MUST MAKE PROVISION FOR A SUITABLE ALTERNATE THAT HAS A FIRM FORECAST. End of paragraph.

The issue about LSALT + 500 is for no NAVAIDS. It should say "no cloud below LSALT plus 500 and 8km vis FROM THE TAF".

If still not convinced - think of this. There is no TAF at an airport called FUNGULU. LSALT to get there is 2,000 ft. The GAF, on the face of it, paints a picture of generally ****ty weather, but no real cloud below 2500 and vis is 9km. So off you go to FUNGULU and get there and its **** below 2500 and you cant get in.

10 miles from FUNGULU, so in the same area, is an airfield called ROSSOW. It has a TAF for cloud generally around 2500 ft and vis 9km (like the GAF), but it has TEMPO all day for cloud BKN at 800 and 3km vis in rain. So I go to ROSSOW, the weather is ****, but I've got the TEMPO fuel, so I hold then land. You only looked at the GAF, you say all good, you head off to FUNGULU and you get there at the same time I get to ROSSOW 10 miles away, the weather is ****, you can't get in and you have no fuel.

GAFS do not give INTERS, TEMPOS, fog, cross wind - these are all things that your fuel planning MUST be based on. Fuel at your destination is determined but the forecast AT YOUR destination. GAF is an overview.