PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Aware or SkyEcho?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2020, 19:39
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We've had ADS-B 'out' for a couple of years now using a GTX335. We needed a replacement transponder and whilst it would have been nice to support Trig, I've used their units in other aircraft and find them really fiddly, compared with the Garmin.
I find the ADS-B 'out' function really great for tracking students and hirers so as to get the next flight ready against their imminent arrival.

For ADS-B 'in' I'd initially thought of replacing the GTX335 with a GTX345 and displaying the 'in' on a new AERA 660 to replace our ageing Skymap IIIC. That seemed a shocking waste of money so I'm now exploring a GDL50R (the internally mounted hard-wired version of the GDL50 portable) into a panel-mount AERA 660. The airGizmos mount looks good, with the bare wire Garmin multi connector.
I have 3 criteria
1. NO LOOSE WIRES, units obscuring the view out or of the instruments or random tablets getting in the way.
2. Something that's going to work for low-hours students and hirers as well as our technophobe members who hire the aircraft. Some of them think that Skydemon is the latest Tom Hanks movie - a sequel to the Da Vinchi Code.
3. Cost effective.

What I'd REALLY like is to be able to feed Mode 'S' in to the AERA 660 to give the same traffic functionality as Garmin promise with the GDL50R and ADS-B 'in'. Hardly anyone round here has ADS-B 'out' but most now have 'S'.

TOO