PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy TexanT6 crash fatal 10-23
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2020, 15:00
Lonewolf_50

Received 412 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
Glad you could jump in here, Wolf. You may be the youngest Nasal Radiator to have gone thru Whiting, but possibly T28B may have you beat.
When I was doing helicopter training in Whiting (back early 80's) they were still flying T-28s at VT-6. Can't remember when they moved the last of them to Corpus Christi, as I was off to the fleet at that point. Last one left Corpus Christi in 1984. Sold a few to Venezuela on an FMS for CAS, if I remember rightly.
One of the VT-6 IPs brought a Trojan home with a dead engine through an overcast (IIRC ceilings were around 800 or 1200 feet, he was on an instrument hop and lost the engine but my memory may be failing badly). A remarkable save.
But this new bird has good ones.
Yep.
The planes at Whiting have been under suspicion last year or two for incidents involving the OGOGS, so I would not rule out incapacitation of both folks. I don't think a bird strike up high would cause complete loss of control.
OBOGS being a possible culprit for an LOC (loss of consciusness, not loss of control) was also on my mind as I thought through this, but my most recent memory of that was the issue at TW-1 and TW-2 with the T-45s. Wasn't clear on how the T-6B's oxygen sysetm was faring. I have an old buddy who used to work Wing level maintenance out that away, I'll see if I can dig anything out of him.

And Good Lord: if I'm young, I'll need to order a case of Geritol for the whole room!