PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What next?
Thread: What next?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2020, 13:34
wrench1

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by spannersatcx
As a B1 what can I use my knowledge and experience in, to put some food on the table?
Don't know if this equates to your side of the pond, but here an A&P is considered a unique commodity in a number of non-aviation industries due to the A-Z skill sets required to to obtain it. For example, there is/was a dental equipment mfg'r that offered a job to the top 10% of each A&P class from several community college programs. Or, in the directional drilling industry, they sought A&Ps at one time as they believed that either 10K feet up or 10k feet down required the same mind set. And they all paid much better than the aviation side. If you have a turbine back ground, offshore/onshore power generation is another field we would lose A&Ps to from the old day job as they use either existing aircraft turbine engines or purpose built turbines for the generation side. Have seen quite a few mechanics venture outside of aviation with their skill sets and succeed. Fortunately, I preferred working nights in all types of weather and conditions on helicopters at a decent wage to follow in their foot steps. Regardless maybe look into those non-aviation jobs you had thoughts about in the past and send out a CV. Who knows you may be pleasantly surprised by the replies. Good luck!