PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands - Bomb Fusing
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2020, 12:54
SLXOwft

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts
I read somewhere that on the 25th May they had changed the type of nose unit and were particularly disappointed that the bomb that hit Broadsword didn't cause severe damage. They believed it didn't strike anything substantial enough to trigger it before it bounced off. I have no evidence to hand but the fuse change might be why the bombs that hit Coventry were so effective.

The RE bomb disposal team member killed on Antelope was Staff Sergeant James Prescott of 49 EOD Squadron who was awarded a posthumous CGM. His colleague WO II John Philips lost an arm and was awarded the DSC which was believed to be unique on two counts, first to a non-commissioned rank and possibly the first to a soldier. He was later commissioned.

Some of the bombs were definitely British the one defused on Antrim was clearly marked Made in Derby.

On the subject of the Fleet Clearance Diving Teams, about twenty years after the war I had the privilege of having a drink with the late Lt Cdr Brian Dutton, who commanded FCDT 1. He was, as one might expect, very modest about his bravery, I learnt recently that he was recalled, to go South, from terminal leave prior to retirement.

(This may seem a bit odd as I was referencing a now deleted post)

Last edited by SLXOwft; 27th Oct 2020 at 13:14. Reason: JTO's deleted post.