PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NO Instrument App/NO TAF - Alternate ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2020, 00:24
Capn Rex Havoc

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Hi Lead Balloon,

But I’m a bit confused. Your opening post specified an IFR charter flight on a ‘gin clear day’. There are ways of finding out what’s going on at your remote destination. And you can always choose to provide for an alternate, even if it’s not mandated. What’s the safety issue?
I guess I had been working too long for a company that was ruthless with respect to following the company and State regulations. Plus I wanted to brush up on the local regs, to be able to discuss the rulings intelligently with my potential new employer.

I’m not aware of any IFR charter flight in the recent or even distant past that ended in a forced landing due to the unsuitability of the planned destination and all potential alternates, planned or otherwise.
Your recollection or otherwise of past events is not a reliable source of safety adherence, no disrespect. Wasn't there a near disaster with QF and Virgin 737s a while back at Mildura or some such place with regards to diverting from Adelaide due fog? I hope there were robust changes made to whatever planning/fuel policies were in place at that time to close the Swiss cheese hole that nearly led to catastrophe.